Every summer between 1996 and 2010, hundreds of educators, from middle school through college levels, came to this annual residential program on the Bloomington campus, sponsored by the Center for the Study of Global Change. They joined IU professors and other internationally prominent speakers to explore global themes such as environmental change, food security, and international trade through simulations, panels, interactive communication technology connections, and cultural events. The goals of the institute were to assist educators:
- To learn about significant and current global issues
- To apply critical thinking and problem-solving skills to these issues
- To experience world cultures
- To develop pertinent lesson plans or units
- To develop a global network of colleagues
- To acquire top-quality Interactive Communication Technology (ICT), library, web, and instructional resources
ISSI was the precursor of the Institute for Curriculum and Campus Internationalization.